September 1, 2020
Now accepting applications for Young Canada Works graduate internship program
One of our objectives at the Canadian Museums Association (CMA) is to strengthen the museum workforce today and for the future. We do this in a few ways, including through our delivery of the Young Canada Works (YCW) program. The CMA is currently accepting a second round of YCW-Building Careers in Heritage (BCH) applications until September 23rd, aimed at domestic positions that will run from mid-November 2020 until the end of March 2021.
This second call for applications follows the announcement of $2.6 million in supplemental funding provided by the Government of Canada and devoted to YCW-BCH. If your first-round application was waitlisted and you have not yet been contacted, YCW Program Officers will be contacting you soon.
For program details and eligibility criteria, please visit the YCW-BCH employer page on the CMA’s website. We also recommend you consult the Young Canada Works Employer Guide on Canadian Heritage’s website which outlines several YCW program components, so be sure to consult the information provided for “YCW at Building Careers in Heritage.”
To support the program during the pandemic, some special program considerations have been made this year:
- The YCW contribution to a BCH internship may instead cover up to 85% of total project costs; *
- The program cap (previously $10,000 per domestic position) is not in effect this year.
- As always, applications from Indigenous organizations, applications for projects aimed at Indigenous interns, and applications for projects focusing on Indigenous cultural heritage are encouraged.
*Note: funding remains limited by availability and if approved you may receive a funding offer for less than 85% of total project costs
Dates to consider:
- Internships funded by this intake period should run from mid-November 2020 until March 31st, 2021, for a minimum of 16 weeks;
- Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on September 23rd, 2020;
- Funding decisions will be announced on or by October 26th, 2020.
NOTE: Due to funding requirements all YCW-BCH internships funded this year must be complete by March 31st, 2021. For internships beginning on April 1st or later, you will need to apply for 2021-22 funding. Please check back in late-Fall for that application period.
Peer Review Committee:
The CMA is also calling for Peer Review Committee volunteers to evaluate applications. If you are a Canadian museum professional (employee, volunteer, or retiree of a Canadian heritage institution) and would like to help us support museums and graduates, please visit our website for further details.
Young Canada Works is generously supported by the Department of Canadian Heritage.