December 2, 2020
Join the YCW Peer Review Committee
One of our objectives at the Canadian Museums Association (CMA) is to strengthen the museum workforce today and for the future. We do this in a few ways, including through our delivery of the YCW (Young Canada Works) program.
To help us evaluate applications, the CMA is recruiting volunteers to participate in a our YCW Peer Review Committee. The review period for the student job program (YCW in Heritage Organizations) will take place in February, and for the graduate internship program (YCW at Building Careers in Heritage) late March. Spots are limited, so please contact us sooner rather than later.
Participating as a peer reviewer is a great way to support museums and young people who benefit from the YCW program. Some of the benefits are:
- Exposure to diverse and innovative project proposals from across Canada;
- Increased understanding of the YCW programs and the funding process;
- Greater involvement with the CMA;
- Professional development, especially for new committee members.
How does it work?
Peer reviewers participate electronically, and these committees include heritage professionals at different stages of their careers, representing Canada's wide range of cultural institutions and various regions. Committee members will evaluate project proposals remotely based on criteria established by the Department of Canadian Heritage and provide the CMA with funding recommendations.
- A museum professional (employee, volunteer, or retiree of a Canadian heritage organization);
- Fluent in one official language (however, the ability to review both official languages is preferred);
- Able to commit between 20 and 35 hours to the evaluation of project proposals during the review period.
- Current or previous YCW program applicants can participate as peer reviewers. The CMA will ensure you evaluate applications from another region of Canada.
I nterested? Please send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your contact information;
- Your experience in the museum community;
- List of all heritage sector employers or partners (past and present, to avoid any potential conflicts of interest);
- Your ability to review in either official language (French, English or both);
- Number of hours you are able to commit to the evaluation process.
The CMA would like to thank you for your interest. Should you not be selected for a YCW Peer Review Committee, you may be contacted to assist in future years.
Young Canada Works is generously supported by the Department of Canadian Heritage.